- Alertness -- An Ombuds must evaluate information and simultaneously be alert to how it is presented.
- Patience and Tact -- An Ombuds must create and maintain rapport with the visitor to enhance the success of the process.
- Credibility -- An Ombuds must present himself in a believable and consistent manner, and be able to clearly articulate complex situations and concepts.
- Objectivity and Self-control -- An Ombuds must be totally objective and dispassionate in responding to information presented.
- Adaptability -- An Ombuds must adapt to the many and varied personalities which he will encounter.
- Perseverance -- Tenacity of purpose can be the difference between an Ombuds who is merely good and one who is superior.
- Appearance and Demeanor -- An Ombuds' organized and professional appearance will favorably influence individuals.
- Initiative -- Consistent and appropriate initiative is essential to a successful session.
Is the comparison disturbing or are the traits simply common to anyone who must deal with individuals successfully?
Related posts: Rules to Understand People and Avoid Conflict; Improve Listening Skills by Mirroring Gestures; How Important Are Appearances for Ombuds; Top Conversation Hacks; Ombuds Occupy Place on Bridge Between Psychology and Conflict Resolution; Thoughts on Impartiality.