The International Ombudsman Association will offer basic and advanced training for Organizational Ombuds at the Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel in Baltimore, MD the week of October 24-28, 2011. Courses include:
- Ombudsman 101 (October 24-26) - A 2½ day course that covers the fundamentals of the Organizational Ombuds role. It provides basic information and training for the Organizational Ombudsman by emphasizing the principles of confidentiality, neutrality, independence, and informality.
- Intermediate Workshop: A Step by Step Approach to Working with Visitors and Respondents (October 2426) - This 2½ day Intermediate Workshop series will focus on gaining theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary to perform the role of an Organizational Ombudsman in adherence to IOA Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics, including techniques and considerations for establishing appropriate rapport and facilitating visitor/respondent understanding and expectations of the Ombudsman Role.
- Ombudsman 101 PLUS (October 26, following the conclusion of Ombudsman 101) - This course will concentrate on how to communicate the value and benefits of an Ombudsman function internally to management who are considering starting an Ombudsman Office, and from the outside if you are an entrepreneur.
- Specialized Course #1: Mediation and Ombudsing - Complementary Processes (October 27) - This course will introduce the way in which mediation and ombudsman practices can complement each other. Instructors will examine the implications of conducting mediations within an ombuds office and how ombuds offices may effectively work with internal mediation services in organizations.
- Specialized Course #2: Primer on Employment Law (October 28) - Abstract will be available shortly.
Ombudsman 101 is a prerequisite for all other courses. Priority registration closes September 19. (IOA Fall 2011 Training Info.)