November 29, 2017

CERN Ombuds Offers Insights on First Visitor Meeting

Pierre Gildemyn is following the tradition of other CERN Ombuds and publishing a regular articles about his office. In his latest piece, Gildeman tells potential visitors what they might expect if they make an appointment to meet with him. His reassurance for visitors is a succinct overview of the Ombuds process (regardless of industry or organization type) that aspiring Ombuds may find valuable.
When someone comes to see me for the first time, I always begin by reminding them of the framework in which I operate. I then ask them to explain why they have come: “Now tell me what brings you here.” During the discussion, my aim will be to get as precise an idea as possible not merely of the facts but, even more importantly, of your feelings and how you are coping with the situation. * * *
Don’t expect me to say that either party is right or wrong. This is not the purpose of the discussion. * * *
Once I have a full understanding of your situation and your expectations, we can consider your options together, weighing up the pros and cons of each one.... * * *
By the end of the discussion, we will have identified several options, and it’s up to you to decide what to do next. * * *
A discussion doesn’t necessarily have to reach a conclusion. Often, people who come to see me just want to confide in someone neutral, in complete confidence, in order to understand their situation better.
Read his full article for more details. (CERN Ombuds.)

Related posts: CERN Ombuds Begins Series of Articles for EmployeesNew CERN Ombuds Continues Newsletter ArticlesCERN Names New Ombuds.

No comments:

Post a Comment