March 03, 2008

I'm Not the Only Lawyer-Turned-Ombuds

An ABA Journal query, "Have You Ever Had to Deal with a Workplace Bully?" prompted the following response:
I was a lawyer for many years, and ran into my share of bullies who were particularly skilled at terrorizing associates and staff. * * * Well, that’s all behind me. Sort of. I’ve become an ombuds for a university, and have been surprised to find that academia has more than its share of bullies. * * * In fact, I’m in the process of designing a workshop on bullying in an attempt to begin addressing the problem at my institution. [¶] Although I could detail some ways I have dealt with bullies on my own account or for others, that would miss the point. It is not a simple problem with a one-size-fits all solution. * * * I don’t think this is the place to go on at length about solutions, but I’m glad the discussion has begun.
My own story is the same. Wow. (ABA Journal Question of the Week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment