According to the description of the office,
- In relation to staff issues brought to the attention of the ISO the ISO may offer assistance with the informal resolution of such issues which may include the provision of mediation services – internal or external.
- The ISO provides a safe and confidential environment to discuss concerns or complaints outside formal channels.
- The ISO is available to all members of the University staff. A Student Advisor and Ombudsman is available to students.
- The ISO is independent of the University's formal administrative structure and all other departments on campus. This independence ensures that University - related concerns can be discussed in an impartial and strictly confidential environment.
- The ISO cannot impose solutions, but can identify options and strategies for resolution.