January 17, 2008

Tim Gunn: Ombuds?

Generally, I'm not a fan of reality TV. I get enough reality as an ombuds, listening to the trials and tribulations of my visitors. However, I do watch "Project Runway." The contestants, judges and fashion design are only marginally interesting; I watch mostly because of Tim Gunn. Ostensibly, Gunn who is a fashion expert in his own right is there simply to get the contestant designers to talk about their work for the cameras. But he is much more than that. Gunn acts as a mentor, coach, dean and facilitator. He is urbane, wise, empathetic and witty. And he has the vocabulary of an academic. I suspect he also gives informal feedback to the producers of the show. For these reasons, I consider him an honorary ombuds.

Related post: An Ombuds By Any Other Name.

1 comment: