June 06, 2012

Higher Ed Ombuds Blogger Sees the Future

A recent post at the Higher Ed Ombuds blog reflects on a high school class with 50 valedictorians and how this will affect her work. She writes... 


As an ombuds, I ‘m not in the habit of predicting the future, but I’ll go out on a limb here and say that a good number of these 50 valedictorians and other chronic high achievers will end up in ombuds offices at universities across the country when they “fulfill the requirements” and are as less than the best... [A]s an ombuds in higher ed, a culture built upon achievement and competition, I think it’s crucial to recognize and reflect upon how perceptions of fairness may be affected when people accustomed to success fall below a metaphorical bar. Because fall they will. And when they do, they’ll come to me and my fellow ombuds, looking for recourse. 


1 comment:

  1. I can't tell if the Higher Ed Ombuds Blogger wants to remain anonymous. Until I know for sure, I won't be the one to reveal the identity.

    ReplyDelete