January 12, 2012

Day in the Life of the ICANN Ombuds

In his latest blog post, Chris LaHatte, the Ombudsman for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, reveals his daily routine. Organizational Ombuds serving a local population will find that LaHatte, who serves stakeholders around the globe, has a very different day.

A typical day for me starts around 6:30 a.m. like many in the ICANN world, time zones become irrelevant, and so I keep my phone close at all times so I can check on incoming e-mail and messages. This now includes messages via Facebook, because of my new Facebook page. So my routine is to then come downstairs to where my laptop is plugged in. I work from an antique Korean writing desk so I can just unfold the lid and get to work. As I am a typical New Zealander, this also involves making a cup of tea. I then settle in and clear e-mails, check my tasks for the day and my diary.
Like many other Ombuds, LaHatte compensates for his isolation by maintaining strong connections with local professionals unaffiliated with ICANN. (ICANN Ombudsman Blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment