May 22, 2023

Job Posting: UN World Food Programme, Rome

The food assistance branch of the United Nations is hiring a Ombuds Officer and Data Manager. The consultant position reports to the Ombudsman and Director, Gabrielle Kluck, and provides range of conflict resolution services to WFP employees. The contract will last 11 months.

Applicants must have: an advanced University degree with additional ADR training; at least ten years of professional experience, with at least eight years as an Ombuds, and some experience within the UN system; and fluency in English. Intermediate knowledge of a second UN official language is preferred. No compensation indicated. Applications are due June 4, 2023. (WFP Careers.)

7 comments:

  1. Oh! To work with Gabrielle, in Rome no less. I should have studied French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of education, background, and experience to hire someone for only 11 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh the odd terms of UN employment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read these whenever they are posted and wonder what universe of people meet their requirements, and how many people are in that universe. And for this one, who has the ability to pick up their life for an 11 month contract.

      Delete
    2. B - thank you, that is my point! (I posted the second comment.) The position looks great, but who would willingly take a role with that much experience for less than a year's worth of work? I don't know anyone who is ok with job insecurity. Does anyone know why they do this or the reasoning behind it?

      Delete
  4. For what it’s worth many of these are extended a year at a time. They also create opportunities for more permanent work or conversely ad hoc consulting work. Agreed that some terms within the UN system are very challenging and confusing at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may just be me, but I have a hard time understanding the inner workings of UNARIO. Despite the fact that I have posted many news items about Ombuds in the system, I almost never get any information directly. I can only infer from the job postings and public-facing websites. On the other hand, I have a lot of contacts in academia and the U.S. federal sector who will talk to me off the record.

    ReplyDelete