The U.S. Department of Defense program is hiring multiple Ombudsmen to work within the Employee Support of the Guard & Reserve from offices near Washington, DC. The "national level" Ombuds mediate complaints between military service members and their employers. Previously, much of this work was done by volunteers.
Here is a full list of the duties:
- Act as a National level Ombudsman when mediating USERRA [Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act] complaints to resolve workplace problems between service member and their employers relative to conflicts between civilian employment and military duty.
- Mediate complex cases and communicate with individuals involved in disputes on a moment's notice or with extremely minimal preparation time.
- Conduct training sessions to educate employers, service members, volunteers, contractors and the national staff on the provisions of USERRA law.
- Ensure compliance to USERRA rules applicable to quality case documentation and the timely resolution of cases.
- Contribute to USERRA specific articles for publication in support of the ESGR mission of employer education and standard briefings for use by volunteer ombudsman when talking to local employers and service members.
The GS 11/12 positions pay $62,467-$97,333 per year. Applications are due August 13, 2012. (Federal Government Jobs.)