March 11, 2020

Meet the Ombuds for Indiana University School of Medicine

Marly Bradley and Joe DiMicco are the Ombudspersons for about 5,000 students, residents, fellows, graduate students, and faculty and other academic appointees at the Indiana University School of Medicine. Bradley has been in the post for two years and DiMicco founded the program three years ago. They were just profiled in the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology magazine, ASBMB Today.

Here's an excerpt:
What inspired you to become an ombudsperson?
Marly Bradley: It was a natural fit. I’ve always been inclined to serve in areas of advocacy, and while ours is a neutral office, we do advocate for fairness. I chaired the university’s teacher–learner advocacy committee for almost 10 years, and this seemed like an ideal opportunity to continue my service in an expanded role. Our two-person office was an added draw. I have a clinical background, and my partner ombuds has a research background. Our experiences over a combined 60 years provide unique insight into the issues that most of our visitors face.
Joe DiMicco: After I retired from my 30-plus years on the faculty at the end of 2011, I missed my connections with students and my former colleagues. In 2016, the university approached me about the plan to start an ombuds office at the school of medicine and invited me to apply. The administration thought that my many years of experience would afford valuable insight into the history and culture of the institution and that my position as an emeritus professor would afford me freedom and independence. I originally planned to stay for five years, but the sense of purpose I achieve in working with visitors and my terrific working relationship with Marly Bradley have me thinking that I’ll likely stick around a bit longer.
(ASBMB Today.)

Related post: Indiana University School of Medicine Opens Ombuds Office.


No comments:

Post a Comment