Yesterday, the California Caucus of College and University Ombuds released a statement on Black Lives Matter. Here's the full text of what was sent in an email to members:
The California Caucus of College and University Ombuds stands in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and with the victims of police brutality, their families, and those who are protesting racism in the wake of the brutal killings and the centuries-long systemic targeting of Black people in America.
As an organization that promotes peaceful resolution, collaboration, and that works with individuals to address systemic concerns, CCCUO collectively honors the lives of many Black people who have recently been murdered by police by speaking their names…
ERIC GARNER, JOHN CRAWFORD III, MICHAEL BROWN, EZELL FORD, DANTE PARKER, MICHELLE CUSSEAUX, LAQUAN MCDONALD, TANI SHAANDERSON, AKAI GURLEY, TAMIR RICE, RUMAIN BRISBON, JERAME REID, GEORGE MANN, MATTHEW AJIBADE, FRANK SMART, NATASHA MCKENNA, TONY ROBINSON, ANTHONY HILL, MYA HALL, PHILLIP WHITE, ERIC HARRIS, WALTER SCOTT, WILLIAM CHAPMAN II, ALEXIA CHRISTIAN, BRENDON GLENN, VICTOR MANUEL LAROSA, JONATHAN SANDERS, FREDDIE BLUE, JOSEPH MANN, SALVADO ELLSWOOD, SANDRA BLAND, ALBERT JOSEPH DAVIS, DARRIUS STEWART, BILLY RAY DAVIS, SAMUEL DUBOSE, MICHAEL SABBIE, BRIAN KEITH DAY, CHRISTIAN TAYLOR, TROY ROBINSON, ASSHAMS PHAROAH MANLEY, FELIX KUMI, KEITH HARRISON MCLEOD, JUNIOR PROSPER, LAMONTEZ JONES, PATERSON BROWN, DOMINIC HUTCHINSON, ANTHONY ASHFORD, ALONZO SMITH, TYREE CRAWFORD, INDIA KAGER, LA’VANTE BIGGS, MICHAEL LEE MARSHALL, JAMAR CLARK, RICHARD PERKINS, NATHANIEL HARRIS PICKETT, BENNI LEE TIGNOR, MIGUEL ESPINAL, MICHAEL NOEL, KEVIN MATTHEWS, BETTIE JONES, QUINTONIO LEGRIER, KEITH CHILDRESS JR., JANET WILSON, RANDY NELSON, ANTRONIE SCOTT, WENDELL CELESTINE, DAVID JOSEPH, CALIN ROQUEMORE, DYZHAWN PERKINS, CHRISTOPHER DAVIS, MARCO LOUD, PETER GAINES, TORREY ROBINSON, DARIUS ROBINSON, KEVIN HICKS, MARY TRUXILLO, DEMARCUS SEMER, WILLIE TILLMAN, TERRILL THOMAS, SYLVILLE SMITH, ALTON STERLING, PHILANDO CASTILE, TERENCE CRUTCHER, PAUL O’NEAL, ALTERIA WOODS, JORDAN EDWARDS, AARON BAILEY, RONELL FOSTER, STEPHON CLARK, ANTWON ROSEII, BOTHAM JEAN, PAMELA TURNER, DOMINIQUE CLAYTON, ATATIANA JEFFERSON, CHRISTOPHER WHITFIELD, CHRISTOPHER MCCORVEY, ERIC REASON, MICHAEL LORENZO DEAN, BREONNA TAYLOR, GEORGE FLOYD
We recognize that this list is limited and we also honor the many additional individuals whose names we know and do not know.
We acknowledge the pain, despair, anger and helplessness that we are all feeling. We have channeled those emotions into action by voting unanimously to approve donating *8.46% of our CCCUO funds to the Black Lives Matter nonprofit and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.. We offer our support to the Cal Caucus community and encourage members to take action in ways that feel meaningful.
Meaningful Action may look like:
• Vote in local and federal electionsRelated posts: Cal Caucus Publishes 2016 Journal; Cal Caucus Posts Details of 2017 Conference; Cal Caucus Announces Agenda, Opens Registration for 45th Meeting; Update: Cal Caucus 2018 Reaches Capacity; Cal Caucus Opens Registration for 2019 Meeting; Call for Presenters: Cal Caucus 2020.
• Civic Engagement: Sign Petitions, Contact Local Politicians, Letters to the Editor
• Educate yourself on anti-racism
• Elevate the experiences of marginalized and underrepresented voices
• Donate to local and national fundraisers and organizations
• Discuss racism with family, friends, neighbors, and community
• Step in and be an active **upstander to interrupt and stop racism
We send this message to extend our care and support to you.
In peace and partnership,
the CCCUO Board of Directors & Planning Committee
- - -*On May 25th 2020, Derek Chauvin held his knee on the neck of George Floyd for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, resulting in Mr. Floyd's murder. CCCUO is donating 8.46% of its funds in honor of Mr. Floyd.
**A person who speaks or acts in support of an individual or cause, particularly someone who intervenes on behalf of a person being attacked or bullied.