September 11, 2012

Hebrew University of Jerusalem Appoints First Ombuds

Israel's second-oldest university has named Prof. Esther Shohami to be its first Student Ombudsman. In this new role, Shohami will address complaints from students and applicants about academic or administrative matters, and may submit recommendation to the University's Rector. 


Shohami said, "My role is to protect students' rights within the protocols and procedures of the University, at the same time upholding these principles and values. Naturally in the course of my work I may find my deficiencies in various statutes or procedures, and part of my job, as I see it, is to alert the relevant authorities the these points and to recommend changes." Shohami has been a faculty member in HUJI's Department of Pharmacology since 1981 and she served as the Dean of Students from 2006 to 2011. She was recently elected president of the Israeli Society for Neuroscience. (HUJI News Release; Faculty Profile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment