This week, VU University Press releases Ombudswerk in het hoger onderwijs: een praktische wegwijzer (Ombudswork in Higher Education: a Practical Guide) by Lies Poesiat, the Ombudsman for students and staff at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
The book looks at all aspects of Ombuds work:
- How to implement and manage the daily practice of an Ombuds;
- How to work effectively as an Ombuds;
- The kind of complaints an Ombuds handles;
- How an Ombuds works with complainants and respondents;
- Difference in handling complaints of students and employees; and
- How an Ombuds maintains impartiality.
Poesiat has worked at VU-University Amsterdam since 2007. Prior to that she was the Ombuds at the University of Amsterdam. She has served on the ENOHE steering committee and was a founder and president of the Dutch Ombudsmen association, VOHO. She also gives lectures about Ombuds work in the Netherlands and abroad. There are plans for an English translation. (VU University Press.)